The Capital City Black Film Festival (CCBFF) welcomes features, shorts, documentary features and documentary/short films as well as music videos for its competitive program. CCBFF accepts film submissions from all filmmakers including student filmmakers; however, to be eligible for the festival’s competitive program, one of the film’s creative principles, i.e. the writer, director, producer or actors in principle roles must be Black or of African heritage. All other films will be considered for our invitational program. Please notify the festival in your application if your submission does not meet the requirements for the competitive program and you wish to be considered for the invitational program.
Feature films should be at least 60 minutes in length; short films should be 30 minutes in length or less. Music videos must be original and seven minutes or less. All submissions must be postmarked on or prior to the “Late Deadline” date.
DVD (Region 0 or 1 NTSC)
Blu-Ray (Region 0 or 1 NTSC)
All submissions must have been completed after January 1, 2016
Deadlines and Fees
Call for Submissions: January 4, 2017 – July 14, 2017
Earlybird Period: January 4, 2017 – March 17, 2017 || Fee $55.00
Regular Deadline: March 18, 2017 – May 12, 2017 || Fee $75.00
Late Deadline: May 13, 2017 – July 14, 2017 || Fee $100.00
NOTE: CCBFF is a competitive film festival. In fairness to all filmmakers, fee waiver requests will not be granted for competitive films.
Notification to Filmmakers: All notifications will be completed no later than August 1, 2017. Filmmakers are encouraged to submit EARLY.
All films selected for screening will receive one full festival pass.
Submission categories will have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards. Awards will either be monetary, trophies and/or certificates.
CCBFF prefer all submissions be completed via www.withoutabox.com. However, manual submissions are acceptable and must be packaged safely for delivery. CCBFF is not responsible for damages to films submitted via mail. Manual submissions must be accompanied by: (1) completed submission form with all accurate information; and (2) a cashier’s check or money order made payable to CCBFF. NO CHECKS will be accepted. Manual submissions must be postmarked on or prior to the stated deadlines the appropriate amount included. Manual submissions must be to CCBFF’s physical address:
815-A Brazos #710
Austin, Texas 78701
Festival programming staff will select and invite films at their discretion.
1. Entrants will be notified, if selected, via email, on or before July 15, 2017 and no later than August 1, 2017. Please feel free to email us regarding your film's status.
2. If selected, filmmakers are expected to provide the following: (a) Exhibition Format: The festival screens/exhibits work only in the following formats: NTSC Region 1 (PAL is Not Accepted. NO PAL) is the acceptable format for previewing your film for consideration of acceptance into the festival. However, once accepted, you will need to provide either a DigiBeta (NTSC) copy; (b) Full press kit including film stills and director photo (digital JPEG or TIFF files of minimum 300 dpi on disk, flash drive or emailed); synopsis; full production credits; and director biography. Additional collateral material including postcards, posters, etc. may be included if available. (c) Clips or trailer to be used for press, promotion, and awards ceremony. (d) You must be prepared to FedEx, UPS, or Express Mail your DigiBeta to the festival within 20 days of start of festival – no exceptions.
3. Selected films may be screened multiple times during the course of the Festival at the festival's discretion. Your press kit material and film may be used to promote the following year's event. In addition, your DVD copy will not be returned, but may be archived for research and historical purposes. However, your DigiBeta copy will be returned pursuant to the festival's return policy.
4. NOTE: The Capital City Black Film Festival is not responsible for lost films or damage to any films during shipping, handling, or screening.
5. Only one form per entry. There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit. Fees are non-refundable. Payment in US dollars may be made by money order and cashier’s checks only. The film title must be clearly printed on all checks/money orders with the tracking number. Do not send cash.
Make money orders and cashiers’ checks payable to CCBFF. Submissions will not be viewed unless accompanied by entry fee(s) and fully completed signed entry form. If submitting manually, please send entries in sturdy, reusable containers or bubble wrap.
Capital City Black Film Festival proudly accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com, the world's best online submission platform. FilmFreeway offers free HD online screeners, unlimited video storage, digital press kits, and more. Click to submit with FilmFreeway.
Withoutabox logos are trademarks of Withoutabox, a DBA of IMDb.comInc. or its affiliates.